U11Triangular v Belhaven and Fettes


 The annual U11B Triangular fixture with Fettes and Belhaven took place on Wednesday with Belhaven as our hosts. We were indeed fortunate to be visiting the seaside town of Dunbar which was bathed in warm sunshine. A rather marked contrast to the clouded skies we had just left in Melrose!

 The 8 a-side matches saw us take the field first against our hosts. The early stages saw Belhaven take the upper hand. In fact, 2 attacking scrum 5’s for Belhaven tested our defence. On both occasions we held them up and over our line and St Mary’s regained possession. Initially Robbie took play forward then Jack and finally Ollie De G. From the ruck the ball found John who ran in well to score. A fine and telling start for St Mary’s.


 On such a superb day for open running rugby, both teams attempted to put ball through hands. Tackling was by and by secure but there were moments where it did lapse. Belhaven attempted some pick up and go rugby up the middle and scored a good driving try. On halftime another try by John T, after excellent play from Isaac S, restored our lead.

The 2nd half saw keen and occasionally frantic play continue. Tristan drove well and with Robbie’s recycling of the ball it found its way to John T who ran in to make it 3-1. Belhaven then pulled one back, but immediately John T restored the 2 try lead by running in from deep. In this to and fro match Belhaven again drove over after being held up over the St. Mary’s line. St Mary’s then drove forward well Isaac B and Alex providing the link for that man , John T ,to finish of a good team try. Then finally in the last play of the match Belhaven finished off some good ball retention play with a try to make the final score 5-4 to St Mary’s.

The second match saw us play a Fettes/Belhaven Barbarians side. Again it proved to be a good open game played at good pace. Sometimes errors were made, but good back up play from support runners meant our opposition couldn’t capitalise on these mistakes. This time tries from St Mary’s came at regular intervals so that we ended up 8-1 winners. The try scorers were John T (3), Robbie (3), Ollie De G and Tristan one each.

 The final game saw us play Fettes Who started as the better team. Keeping the ball well over they eventually moved ball quickly out wide left to outflank us and score. However, Tristan drove well from the restart to go over for an equaliser. Both teams exchanged tries, each from the restart as tackling was at a premium at this period! St Mary’s however tightened up on their defence and forced a turnover for John T to run from inside his half. As everyone believed him just about to score a good Fettes cover tackle stopped him. Not one to say die Jack had worked hard to back him up and was rewarded with a try as he took the offload. Well done, Jack!

At this moment St Mary’s took control. Fettes had demonstrated just what good elusive runners they were, but with more possession St Mary’s now pressured them with good driving and ball in hand running and offloading. On half time John T added a 4th team try after he picked up a loose ball. The 2nd half saw 5 tries added by St Mary’s with no reply. Scorers were John T (3), Tristan and Ollie De G one each. The pick of these was the one finished off by Ollie after some great lead up play involving Alex, Jack and Isaac B.

Well done to all the boys who provided an afternoon of excellent rugby. Also many thanks must be given to Belhaven for hosting the round robin and for looking after us so well.
Mr Rutherford

Marnie Harvey, 28/09/2017

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.