U11s Rugby v Ardvreck U11s

23rd November 2016

Due to frost at Ardvreck the u11 match was switched to St Mary’s and involved all our 14 available u11 players in a 12 a side match on a sunny but bitterly cold afternoon.

St. Mary’s won the toss and elected to take the pass off with Ardvreck taking the downslope. Play started briskly with both teams getting a feel for the ball. It was the visitors who struck first with a well taken try after 3 minutes and they certainly weren’t showing their long journey in their legs. St. Mary’s got themselves into the match however with George B, Jake M and Callum A involved early in the action. Then ball was taken forward by Mac R and Thomas E up to halfway and from the resultant ruck the ball was moved out to Ollie L on the left wing .Although under pressure he took off wide in an arcing run and got round the initial defence. He kicked again on the 22 to outpace cover tacklers to score a great try in the corner and level the score.

Play was fairly even for the next while as both teams tackled well. Then halfway through the half the ball got to Mac R on the 22 and he drove at the Ardvreck defence. Bouncing a couple of tacklers off he got over to make the score 2-1.

Both teams kept at it as they sought to break each other’s defensive line.  Mitchell C, Archie J Archie M and Ed S all had runs and tested the Ardvreck tackling. Not that we had things all our own way as we had to defend well against some strong and elusive runners with Thomas E, Finlay B Mac R and Caelan B  all making notable tackles. Then with a few minutes left of the half, Mac R read the Ardvreck play as they attempted to move ball wide and he intercepted inside their half and galloped  away to make the score 3-1.

Then with halftime about to blow, Thomas E took a pass at full tilt just inside the half in a typical determined fashion. He picked a gap to get behind the defensive line and ran through unopposed to score. 4-1

The 2nd we started slowly. Ardvreck crashed up just off centre field and slack tackling enabled them to move up-field and score off the first play of the half. However, the boys positively encouraged themselves to liven up and got back into things with some good rugby. Geordie Mac continued to chop down anything that moved, and Stewart M probed away at the defence with his quick feet. At this point cams the best move of the match. Just inside the visitors half at a ruck, St. Mary’s moved the ball out left. Finlay B received the ball and drew and passed to Thomas E who did likewise to Mac R. He then did likewise to set free Archie M at the end of the line to run in unopposed the final 10 metres to score. A great combination try.  5-2

After some loose home tackles Ardvreck added another. However another strong drive and gallop saw Mac R restore the 3 try lead. 6-3. Then Stewart M took a pass 10 metres out and using these quick feet found a gap and got over before being tackled. 7-3. Both teams continued to push forward at each other but it was St. Marys who struck again. Mac R receiving the ball 20 metres out drove for a gap and went throw to score his 4th and the team’s 8th try. The final say went to the visitors to make the final score 8-4. Well done to all boys in the cold!

Mr A Rutherford

Jules Birdsall, 25/11/2016

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.