U11A Rugby v Cargilfield 

12th October 2016

St. Mary’s U11’s played Cargilfield on Wednesday on a very wet pitch which made for a difficult handling afternoon. St. Mary’s won the toss and elected to take the pass off.

Play was fairly even in the opening minutes as both teams tried to come to terms with wet ball. The game took part around the halfway as moving ball wide was proving difficult, though both teams did try to play some expansive rugby.

Gradually both teams slowly adjusted to the conditions and began to at least string one or two passes together, though more often than not both teams just drove forward as the safer means of attempting to make ground and here Mac R, Thomas E, Archie Mac and Stewart M were prominent.
However, halfway through the half the visitors took play up to the St. Marys 22 but knocked on. From the scrum the home team attempted to handle wide, but a dropped pass allowed Cargilfield to scoop up the ball and run over unopposed. It was unfortunate to concede in such a manner when in possession. 0-1. Cargilfield when in possession now used their big ball carriers to take ball on, but St. Marys defended and tackled very well. But St. Marys gave as good they got. Jake M got in on the act driving on with ball as did the Brownlie brothers. Attempts were made to get the ball out to Ollie L with success, but conditions made it slow. Ollie though tried hard to use his pace to break clear but Cargilfield covered well.

Then, as halftime approached, Mac R drove through several attempted tackles and offloaded to the supporting Thomas E who scampered in to tie up the scores. The half ended even at 1-1 after the visitors gave a last effort to snatch back the lead, but tackles from Geordie Mac and Archie M snuffed out any threat.

The second half saw Callum A come on at scrum half and Geordie Mac moved to the wing for Ollie L. The second half was very similar to the first as the wet conditions dictated. Again both teams tried to handle but it proved difficult. No team dominated over the other and handling errors on both sides slowed game momentum. Scrums were plentiful but Callum A kept trying to give his backs a good pass from the base.

Then in 12 minutes, as St. Marys attempted to pass the ball along the line after winning good ruck ball outside their 22, a dropped pass bounced up into the arms of a Cargilfield player who ran over to score and make it 1-2.

To their credit St. Marys pushed harder. Tackling became more intense as did ball carrying forward. Inroads were made well into the visitor’s territory, but passes at vital moments weren’t held. Then on the last play of the match, a penalty to St. Marys was given just outside their 22. In their attempt to square the match they tried to move the ball along the line. However, an interception pass was given away and a try scored.

Nevertheless, a big well done goes to the players for their efforts in the conditions and attempting to play handling rugby. 
Mr A Rutherford 

Jules Birdsall, 25/10/2016

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.