U11A Rugby v Compass

5th October 2016
St. Mary’s u11’s entertained their visitors from Compass on Wednesday on a dry and sunny day that was conducive to running rugby.
St. Marys won the toss and elected to take the pass off in this 8 a side match. Thomas E took the second pass at pace and burst through the Compass defence line. Veering out left he outflanked the remains of the defence to score a fine try!

Caught cold, Compass nevertheless got themselves into the match over the next couple of minutes and shared possession and territory. Indeed, after driving up to the left they moved ruck ball out to the right and scored in the corner. 1-1.

Play remained fairly even as both teams settled into the match. Gradually however St. Marys started to assert themselves. They played better as a team as they used more width and passed more. In 9 minutes they drove deep into the visitors’ territory through Mac R, Jake M and Archie Mac. From the resulting ruck Callum A got the ball quickly away and it went along the line to Archie M to score in the corner.

A minute later it was 3-1 as good team hands with George B prominent freed Thomas E to score his second. Another minute later it became 4-1 after Finlay B initially drove forward. Using his support runners more good hands this time freed up Archie M to run in unopposed.

St. Marys continued to dominate though for a couple of minutes Compass kept them out with some good tackling. However on the stroke of half time a combination of direct driving and quick hands allowed Callum A to cross the line to make the halftime score 5-1.

The second half started with a further St. Marys try in the first minute. Mac R exerted pressure on the Compass attack and a loose pass allowed him to pick up and drive forward to the 22. He passed to the supporting Archie M who in turn passed to Archie Mac who got in to make it 6-1. A minute later St. Marys had overturned ball from the restart and made inroads into the Compass defence with George B, Thomas E and Finlay B involved. The final pass went to Jake M who didn’t need a second invitation to drive over and make it 7-1.

Compass then had a better spell in defence again for a few minutes to keep St. Marys at bay, but the 8th try arrived in 6 minutes.

To finish the match the forwards of both teams swapped over, and all the Compass subs came on divided evenly between the 2 teams to involve all the players and give more game time.

Mr Rutherford  

Jules Birdsall, 11/10/2016

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.