U11 Rugby at Loretto Sevens

2nd October 2016
The U11’s took part in the annual Loretto 7’s on Sunday. Just as it was 4 days previously when the 11’s travelled to play Loretto, it was a beautiful warm and sunny autumn day which made for a very enjoyable occasion.

First match up in the round robin tournament was Belhaven (the eventual winners). St. Marys made a slow start and where soon 8-0 down before they started to turn the tide. The second half was a more even affair and resulted in an unconverted try each. St. Marys try scorer was Caelan B after some good lead up play from Thomas E, Mac R and Archie Mac.

Next match saw us playing the hosts. Loretto scored first as they pounced on the loose ball after it was spilled in front of our posts. The conversion was good.

However St. Marys came back after Caelan B ran wide to the left. From the ruck, which George B secured, we moved ball to the right out to Ollie L who ran well to get over the try line and score an unconverted try. 3-4. Back came Loretto with an unconverted try themselves to lead 3-7. St. Mary’s though weren’t finished as Thomas E ran very well up the left and after being tackled we recycled then moved it to the left out to Mac R who dummied to break through then fed Archie M who ran over unopposed to score. Archie Mac converted well to tie matters up at 7-7. Unfortunately St. Marys lost Caelan B to injury for the remainder of the event from this point but he did well.

Final match before our excellent lunch was Merchiston. The boys were unfortunate in this match. Play was fairly even and they only lost by 2 tries, one of which came from a strike against the head from our scrum (put in from wrong side!). The other was from an interception deep inside the Merchiston 22. The second half saw no points added by either team, though Ollie L was unlucky as he “ scored “ in the corner after running really well only to be denied after he stepped into touch before the touchdown. This was arguably our best match. We tackled really well, none more so than Geordie Mac.

First match of the afternoon saw us play Cargilfield, and it’s fair to say it wasn’t our best performance. However Finlay B had joined us for the afternoon matches which again gave us 8 players. Losing by 0-14, Cargilfield effectively used the speed they possessed and ran out deserved winners.

The final match of the round robin saw us playing Ardvreck. St. Marys kept possession well, and demonstrated good hands in keeping it, but they just couldn’t quite break through. Before halftime Ardvreck then took the lead though an unconverted try. Play was even 2nd half and time was running out. However Mac R took the ball on the burst from 30 metres out and hit and drove on and made the line to tie the scores up. Archie Mac then came forward to attempt the conversion to win the tie and he duly slotted it! The referee then blew for time. 4-3.

Round robin completed, and with a win and a draw the boys may have reached the plate final for third and fourth place. Whatever the outcome the boys can be very pleased with their efforts over the 5 ties against very good opposition. And indeed the boys did make the plate final. Opponents in that were Cargilfield.
Cargilfield again started the better and took an early lead. They continued to use their pace well and added 3 more tries before halftime. To their credit St. Marys dug in and had more territory and possession and kept the scoring to a try each in that 2nd half. Mac R taking a short pass off a penalty and drove over.

The boys finished out on their feet at the end of the half. They couldn’t have given much more. They deserve plaudits for the whole day on and off the field and came a creditable 4th place.

Mr A Rutherford

Jules Birdsall, 10/10/2016

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.