1st XI Rugby v Merchiston 

Venue: St Mary’s
Date:  5th October 2016
Lost 40-39

What a brilliant game of rugby!!!! Fun, flair, skill and courage from both teams produced an absolute thriller of a match on front field.

The score above says it all. Both teams could have won the match and unfortunately it went Merchiston’s way on Wednesday but take nothing away from St Mary’s – they were outstanding. A decision here or there could have been re assessed but this is sport in pressurised environments. The important thing is – how much have they players learned from the match and how will it make them improve for next week’s match. If each player improves his performance every week, that is all I can ask.

The courage on show on Wednesday was a different level to what I have seen before. Boys were throwing themselves into tackles – showing themselves that they CAN tackle – our defence was outstanding because we did not want to let our mates down. The boys believed in themselves from the first whistle to the last. This is what they must do every week – This group is a pleasure to coach and when they play AS A TEAM, they do well as was seen in this match. Every week the boys must have this desire and attitude and this game was a turning point in the season.

Merchiston scored 3 quick tries and 2 were converted. Hamish rallied the troops behind the posts and believed. What happened next was just awesome. The back three of Alexander, Matt and Muaz started to put boys on the deck with precision tackling. Turnovers were made and we moved up the field. Lachlan
scored then Hamish M then Jamie F. 2 were converted by Tommy to pull them back to a draw. Merchiston did not know what had hit them.

Half time gave some respite and some tactical advice. Tommy, the little general at 10 took it on. Squeezing Merchiston down field with a kick chase by Matt and Alexander put so much pressure on Merchiston a number of times. Merchiston managed to get the first converted try after half time then Thomas brought it back but was unconverted. A penalty on the 22 gave Tommy a quick tap chance, he took it and stepped what looked about 8 defenders to score to the right of the posts! He converted. Merchiston got the next try again which was converted. Time was running out and felt like an eternity but the time was right! A penalty was rewarded and Hamish (skips) chose to kick the points to put more pressure on. Lachlan got our final try after another superb kick chase. He ripped the ball from Merchiston’s hands and sprinted the length. This was not converted and the game moved into the dying minutes. Time for TCUP. St Mary’s were winning and had to keep the heads cool. A decision near the end caught St Mary’s off guard and Merchiston got a turnover and unfortunately scored then converted. 1 point in it.

What a game. These players were out on their feet and that is all I can ask. They worked their socks off. We move on next week with a spring in our step.

Well done lads – so proud of you all!

Next job.

Mr R E Mill

Images by Mrs Harvey 
















Marnie Harvey, 06/10/2016

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.