U10s V Longridge Towers

16th March 2016

The U10’s (Form 5 ) entertained Longridge  U10’s on a dull but dry Wednesday afternoon in  their final football match of the term.

In this 8-a-side match St. Mary’s started the better and were immediately on the offensive. Keeping a good shape they looked to pass and play as a team, but also dribble with the ball when it was on to do so. The midfield 3 of Otto K, Thomas E and Caelan B were linking up well with Finlay B up front on his own.

Finlay B made good wide runs when St. Mary’s repossessed and made himself available as a target man.

In 4 minutes the good St. Mary’s start paid off. A long Mac R kick up the pitch from his goals was picked up in midfield by Thomas E who fed Finlay B. He in turn lifted his head to see a through run by Frederick K so passed it forward to put him one on one with their keeper and he slotted it in to the corner to make it 1-0.

Longridge though started to settle and came into the match themselves. They started to pass the ball around better and make good runs off the ball. They were a threat on the counter-attack when St. Mary’s lost possession up front or in midfield. They came close to equalising on one or two such occasions but the back 3 of Callum A, Archie M and Theo T were solid in defence as they blocked shots and put in timely tackles. Any shot that did get through, Mac R dealt with it securely in goals.

However St. Mary’s held firm and turned the tide after this good Longridge spell. St, Mary’s now had more of the ball as they upped their tackling and had more possession. Chances to score came our way but Longridge now had to defend well. Finlay B had a one on one on their keeper but he saved well. As halftime approaching  with St. Mary’s really pushing for that second goal,  the away team broke up field and forced a corner on the right, As it came in Thomas  E swung at it to clear but sliced it towards his goal and the top corner, but Mac R managed to tip it over. Blushes spared! Halftime came as St. Mary’s again pressed but it remained 1-0.

The 2nd half saw Jake M and George B come on in midfield and defence respectively. The start of the half was even as both teams pushed forward to get that important 1st goal. Both had chances but both defences held well. George B slotting in well as the he and his fellow defenders cleared their lines well allied to Mac R‘s big hoofs up the pitch from hand. Jake M tackled well in midfield and linked effectively with passes. Caelan B was putting in a lot of tackles and it was during one of those that he had to leave the pitch after a blow to the nose. It was here that the visitors equalised as Caelan lay on the ground. 1-1. Back on came Callum A and he immediately started where he left off from at the end of the half. 

St. Mary’s increased the pace of their play. After some good lead up play by Thomas E and Jake M the ball came to Frederick K in the box. He turned and shot and it went in at the left corner of the goal. 2-1. St. Mary’s kept up the pressure and came close on a couple of occasions. Longridge continued to try to break from deep but St. Mary’s stood firm at the back. St. Mary’s started to shoot more on sight and on one such occasion a Fin B shot went into the left corner.3 -1.

The last few minutes saw both teams continuing to try to push forward but neither added to their totals. Caelan B came on for the final two minutes as the match finished 3-1 to the home side.

Well done to both teams who played in a positive manner and attempted to push forward at all times which made for an exciting match.  

Mr A Rutherford


Mr A Rutherford, 18/03/2016

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.