U11 Rugby v Cargilfield 

2nd March 2016

On a sunny early spring day St. Mary’s u 11’s left for Edinburgh to be hosted by Cargilfield. However approaching the city, the weather turned to rain and wind and continued until the match ended and the sun returned!

The 10 a side match started brightly for St. Mary’s right from the off we tackled well, ran strongly and supported the ball carrier. It was no surprise after 3 minutes St. Mary’s took the lead. Play was taken to the home ’22 on the right and from the ruck ball was moved left out to Mac who drew the last defender and passed to Alex who scampered in to score.

However, Cargilfield came back into it and pushed St Mary’s back into their ’22, and although in possession St. Mary’s conceded an interception try. 1-1.

Play continued at a high intensity with good handling despite the cold and rain. St. Mary’s had a good next few minutes with Ollie stopped just short in the corner. This was after some good Finlay and Jake driving. Cargilfield came back and forced play back into the St. Mary’s ’22, but St. Mary’s overturned ball and broke out. Mac took play forward and offloaded to the supporting Alex who in turn passed to Matt who finished off from the halfway to make it 2-1.

Immediately after this from the restart Matt scored again after he pressed up on the home attack and intercepted. Great reward as he led the pressing up in defence the whole match.

The home team took play up to the St. Mary’s ’22, but again with overturned ball St. Mary’s moved it wide left to Alex who took off wide and almost got in at the corner but was tackled into touch just short.

Conceded penalties by St. Mary’s allowed the home team into the ’22 in overtime and the home team scored off the final one to make the halftime tally 3-2.

Early in the 2nd half saw more conceded penalties and again the home side scored to level the match at 3-3. At this moment St. Mary’s looked to up the intensity. Effective team tackling kept the home team at bay with Archie, Thomas and Caelan putting in good tackles alongside a good cover tackle by Frederick K to stop a home breakout down our left. Good forward driving and support play, with strong runs from Fergus, Ollie and Matt, gave St. M good territory. During this phase Matt, Thomas and then Alex added tries to make it 6-3. St. Mary’s were well on top at this period of the match.

With 2 minutes remaining the home side broke out from deep to make it 6-4 though. But  from the restart St. Mary’s took play forward with intent to try to score before time was up. Alex was over the line in the corner, but unfortunately let the ball slip from his grasp. However he wasn’t to be denied. As St. Mary’s were held up over the line under the posts, the ball got back to Alex at the back of the maul. He and Matt together dropped down to ground with the ball to score. 7-4.

Well into overtime, and with St. Mary’s conceding more penalties at the ruck, the home side got over to make the final score 7-5. Well done boys, a good effort by all players. Final match of the rugby season next week is at home.


Mr A Rutherford, 08/03/2016

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.