U11A Rugby v Ardvreck

Wednesday 25th November
St. Mary’s entertained Ardvreck on Wednesday enjoying a mild and sunny late autumn afternoon. Although a little soft underfoot, conditions were ideal for running rugby.
And so it turned out to be. Both teams attempted to drive forwards ball in hand with purpose, but also to move ball wide. St. Mary’s made the better start, playing with a higher intensity. Jamie F, William MacP, Mac R and Ollie C made good ground in driving forwards.
St. Mary’s had most of the possession as they kept ball better after the tackle. They were quicker to the breakdown and so had the advantage at the ruck, occasionally overturning the visitors possession with Will S and Jamie F prominent. This kept Ardvreck under pressure, and it was no surprise when St. Mary’s took the lead midway through the half. From a ruck, St. Mary’s moved ball out left to Will S, who ran up the left touchline, outstripping the Ardvreck defence to score. 1 – 0.
Ardvreck tried to up their intensity, but defences were on top as each team now drove at the other. St. Mary’s tackled well with Ollie C, Jamie F and Otto K to the fore. On a couple of occasions, St. Mary’s were stretched wide but Frederick K got in a couple of tackles to prevent any damage. However, Ardvreck handled to the left and, although St. Mary’s tackled well, Ardvreck offloaded out of the tackle to go over for the try. 1 – 1, which was the halftime score.
The 2nd half started well again for St. Mary’s. More good ball after the tackle was evident as players supported the man in possession. As they tried to counter St. Mary’s at the ruck, Ardvreck were conceding penalties for infringements. Ball was getting out wide left to Alex F, who enjoyed some probing runs. Caelan and Matt B linked well at halfback to ensure that the more widely-placed backs saw plenty of ball.
Midway through the 2nd half, St. Mary’s drove deep into Ardvreck territory, and from the ruck, ball was moved out to Jamie F who drove for the line. Looking like he would be held over the line by defenders, he gave one more determined drive from the legs to get over and ground the ball to make it 2 – 1.
Soon after this, Ardvreck conceded a penalty at the ruck just inside their half and Will S took a quick tap and ran through a slow Ardvreck defence unopposed to touch down. However, as no 2nd pass occurred, the try was disallowed.
Time was running out, and as defences continued to dominate play, neither team threatened the other’s line which suited St. Mary’s. They continued to tackle well and even took ball against the head through Otto K at the scrum.
The onus was on Ardvreck and they did manage to take play up into the home ’22 but knocked on in the corner. However, St. Mary’s took the wrong option and dangerously passed the ball from the scrum across the face of their line 10m out.  A dropped ball, an Ardvreck pickup and an unopposed walk over the line gifted Ardvreck with the again equalising score.  2 – 2.
Play ended soon after around the halfway with no further opportunities to score.
A good, open game with honest endeavour was played by both teams as they took advantage of the good conditions to give the ball air.
Mr A Rutherford















Marnie Harvey, 26/11/2015

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.