1st Rugby v Belhaven Hill

18th Novemebr 2015
Won 26-21

Belhaven 1

A cold and muddy day presented itself on the east coast but every day is a good day for rugby!

St Mary’s kicked off downhill. Both teams were looking to seek each other out after a titanic first clash at St Mary’s. After a nervy start from both teams with some basic errors that cost territory, St Mary’s took control and after some nice lead up play from the backs – The forwards took the initiative close the line with some instinctive play before Rudi barrelled his way over to the right of the posts. The try was not converted.

St Mary’s knew how dangerous Belhaven were and were back on the line ready for the restart straight away – next job.
Fortunately, St Mary’s were on a good run in the game and both forwards and backs were combining well with some lovely rugby and good hands especially in the wet conditions. Rudi got the next try again after constant pressure on the Belhaven line. The defence made the try with fantastic line speed putting Belhaven under all sorts of pressure. George converted.

Belhaven then upped the ante and their fly half who was menacing all day saw space in behind and a clever kick through with a good chase enabled him to dot down. He converted this try too.

Into the second half we went. After a rousing team talk from the skipper and senior players, St Mary’s started the strongest with some excellent work by Samuel and Harry turning ball over in the midfield which then enabled Adam L to kick a bobbling ball through to score the try that took St Mary’s 2 tries clear again. George converted.

The defence held strong but St Mary’s knew, Belhaven were going to have a purple patch at one point and it was just how they were going to manage it. Fortunately, St Mary’s scored again with Harry taking ownership on the right corner with some pick and go’s which led to Harry dotting down. It was very smart play which gave a cushion.

Belhaven came roaring back with 2 tries from their scrum half and fly half and the pressure was back on St Mary’s in the final 2 minutes. Good decisions had to be made. The skipper and Adam controlled things well but often spun the ball wide when the time was to keep it tight but the boy’s confidence was high and so felt it was on. Eventually after Belhaven turned the ball over and kicked it out under pressure. The game was won.

A solid performance by the lads but a lot to work on as always.
Thank you to Belhaven. It is always a pleasure coming over to Dunbar. Always a great game of rugby.

Next job boys – well done.
Belhaven 2


Richard Mill, 19/11/2015

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.